Eleven ‘far-right agitators’ banned from UK ahead of rally, government says

LONDON — The British government announced Thursday that eleven foreign nationals identified by intelligence services as prominent far-right agitators had been barred from entering the United Kingdom ahead of a planned nationalist rally scheduled for the weekend in central London, with the Home Office invoking powers under existing immigration legislation to exclude the individuals on the grounds that their presence would pose an unacceptable risk to public order and community safety in one of Europe’s most diverse capital cities.

Home Secretary James Whitmore told the House of Commons in a written ministerial statement, later elaborated at a televised press conference, that the individuals, nationals of six different countries including three from continental Europe, two from North America, and one each from Australia and South Africa, had been served exclusion orders after intelligence assessments conducted jointly by domestic security services and partner agencies concluded their arrival in Britain would “materially and foreseeably increase the risk of serious disorder” at an event which its organisers have billed as a demonstration in support of what they describe as European cultural identity and national sovereignty.

The government declined to publicly identify the eleven individuals by name, citing operational security considerations, the need to protect the integrity of ongoing intelligence cooperation arrangements with partner agencies in the affected countries, and legal advice regarding the potential to prejudice any subsequent legal proceedings. Whitmore said the exclusion decisions had been taken on the specific advice of law enforcement and the security services and would be subject to appeal through existing immigration tribunal mechanisms available to any individual denied entry to the United Kingdom, though he noted that the exclusion orders took immediate effect and that none of the eleven was currently on British soil.

The rally, which organisers said had attracted advance registrations from approximately 4,500 people drawn from across the country and from several European nations, has been approved under existing public assembly legislation but will be subject to strict conditions restricting the proposed march route, limiting the duration of outdoor gatherings, and prohibiting the display of certain symbols and insignia that have been associated with criminal incitement in previous proceedings. Counter-protest groups, including two organisations representing minority communities based in the areas through which the march had originally proposed to pass, have separately notified the Metropolitan Police of a parallel demonstration planned for an adjacent location, raising significant concerns among senior police commanders about the potential for confrontation between the two groups and the logistical challenge of keeping them separated in a densely populated urban environment.

Civil liberties organisation FreeMovement UK criticised the exclusion orders as a disproportionate overreach that set a troubling precedent for the pre-emptive restriction of political expression at the border, arguing that banning individuals prior to any domestic offence on the basis of predicted behaviour represented a fundamental departure from principles of rule of law and presumption of innocence. “You cannot lawfully exclude someone from the country on the grounds that you anticipate they might say something objectionable, or because you predict, without specific and credible evidence of a planned criminal act, that their presence will lead to disorder,” said the group’s director, Rachel Forsythe, at a briefing held outside the Home Office. “This is exactly the kind of executive overreach that judicial oversight exists to check, and we will be monitoring every one of these cases for grounds to challenge.”

Security analysts offered a more measured and technically grounded assessment. Dr. Thomas Greaves of the Institute for Conflict Studies said exclusion orders of the type invoked Thursday had been used sparingly but consistently across successive governments of different political orientations, typically targeting individuals with documented and verifiable histories of inciting or participating in violence at comparable events in other jurisdictions, and that the legal threshold was specifically designed to address situations where domestic criminal law could not act preemptively but where border controls offered a practical preventive mechanism. “The framework exists precisely for these scenarios,” Greaves said. “The question that civil liberties groups are right to press is whether the threshold is being applied consistently and on solid evidentiary grounds rather than on ideological or political considerations, and that is a question that ultimately falls to the immigration tribunals to answer.”

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Sarah Nwosu said an operation involving more than 1,800 uniformed and plainclothes officers had been mobilised for the weekend, with additional mutual aid support available from five regional forces under existing national public order arrangements. She said senior officers were monitoring online communications from a range of groups on all sides of the political spectrum and had developed contingency plans for a variety of scenarios ranging from largely peaceful assembly to serious disorder requiring significant intervention. Whitmore told reporters the government would not hesitate to invoke further exclusion powers if intelligence identified additional foreign nationals seeking to enter the country for the purpose of inciting or coordinating disorder at the event or in its margins. The rally is scheduled to begin at noon Saturday, with the police operation expected to remain active through Sunday morning.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top