‘We’re right on track,’ says Streeting as key target for hospital waiting times hit

LONDON — England’s National Health Service has for the first time hit its target of ensuring that no patient waits longer than 18 weeks from referral to treatment for elective care, health officials announced Wednesday, a milestone that Health Secretary Wes Streeting called a vindication of the government’s reform agenda. The achievement, measured against March data released by NHS England, marks the first time the benchmark has been met since it was formally reinstated as a national performance target 14 months ago.

The 18-week referral-to-treatment standard was first introduced in 2008 and was consistently met for most of the following decade before collapsing during the pandemic, when elective care was suspended and then severely constrained as hospitals managed successive waves of COVID-19 patients. By the time restrictions lifted fully, the waiting list had swollen to a record 7.8 million people. A series of industrial disputes involving junior doctors and consultants further delayed recovery efforts through 2023 and into 2024, frustrating government attempts to accelerate the drawdown of the backlog.

The latest NHS data show the total elective waiting list stood at approximately 6.1 million in March, down from a peak of 7.8 million in September 2023. Of those currently on the list, NHS England said 92.4 percent had been waiting fewer than 18 weeks, meeting the legal standard for the first time in six years. Waiting times for cancer diagnostics also improved, with 76 percent of patients seen within 28 days of an urgent referral, up from 71 percent a year earlier, though still below the 93 percent target set in the NHS Long Term Plan.

Streeting, speaking to reporters outside the Department of Health and Social Care in Whitehall, struck a celebratory but cautious tone. “We’re right on track,” he said. “This is real, tangible progress for patients who have been waiting too long. But I want to be honest: the work is not done. We still have more than six million people on that list, and our job is to keep driving it down.” NHS England chief executive Amanda Forsythe, who took the role eight months ago following a leadership restructure, said the milestone reflected the efforts of clinical staff who have substantially expanded weekend and evening operating capacity under a program of so-called surgical acceleration hubs located across fourteen NHS trusts.

Independent health analysts said the numbers represented genuine progress but cautioned against interpreting them as a signal that the broader NHS productivity challenge has been resolved. Dr. Priya Narayan, a health economist at the Nuffield Trust think tank, noted that achieving the 18-week standard is a floor, not a ceiling. “Six million people on a waiting list is still an enormous human burden,” she said. “And there are real questions about whether the workforce pipeline is large enough to sustain these waiting times as demographic pressures on the health service intensify over the next decade.” She also pointed out that performance varies considerably by specialty, with some orthopaedic and ophthalmology services still carrying waits of more than a year for specific procedures, meaning the national headline figure masks significant local and clinical variation.

Patient advocacy groups welcomed the announcement while urging the government not to ease pressure on the system. The Patients First Coalition said its member surveys consistently showed that the duration of waiting, rather than the act of being placed on a list, was the primary driver of anxiety and deteriorating health outcomes among patients awaiting elective procedures. Coalition director Marcus Webb said the 18-week milestone was meaningful but that the next target — reducing the list below five million by the end of the financial year — would be the true test of whether reform measures were delivering durable results.

Ministers have credited a combination of factors for the improvement: NHS productivity payments introduced in the October spending settlement, expanded use of private sector capacity under NHS contracts, and a 12 percent increase in the number of diagnostic tests carried out in community diagnostic centres opened since 2022. Opposition health spokespeople acknowledged the progress while arguing that structural staffing shortages and crumbling hospital estates could undermine gains without additional capital investment. The government is expected to set out a ten-year NHS plan later this summer that will detail further reform commitments, including a planned shift of care from hospitals to community and primary settings — a structural change that Streeting has framed as essential to making the elective backlog reduction permanently sustainable.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top