LONDON — A 24-year-old logistics worker from Birmingham paid £700 to a third-party reseller earlier this year to secure a driving test slot within two weeks — a booking that would otherwise have required a wait of nearly five months through official government channels. Now, facing mounting public anger over the flourishing black market for test appointments, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency has announced sweeping reforms to how driving tests are booked across the United Kingdom.
The agency confirmed on Friday that it plans to overhaul its online booking system by the end of the third quarter, introducing identity-verified accounts that would make it significantly harder for automated bots to bulk-purchase available test slots and resell them at a markup. The reforms follow an investigation by a parliamentary select committee that found an estimated 180,000 driving test appointments per year are being siphoned from the official system and resold through unofficial brokers, costing the public tens of millions of pounds in unnecessary fees.
James Hartley, the Birmingham resident who paid the premium price, said the decision was purely practical. “I needed my licence for a new job that started in three weeks. I couldn’t afford to wait,” he told a local community forum, adding that he had no idea the reseller’s methods were potentially illegal. He eventually sat his test on a weekday morning and passed on the first attempt, but the experience left him uncomfortable. “It felt like paying a tout for a concert ticket — except this is a government service,” he said.
The DVSA said its internal data showed that between January and April of this year, approximately 62 percent of all test slots in major metropolitan areas were booked within seconds of becoming available, a pattern consistent with automated software rather than individual applicants. In cities including Manchester, London, and Leeds, average waiting times have ballooned to 22 weeks — more than twice the agency’s stated target of 10 weeks. The situation has been particularly acute since a post-pandemic surge in demand combined with a shortage of driving examiners created a structural backlog that has never fully cleared.
Consumer advocacy groups welcomed the announcement but cautioned that technical fixes alone would not solve the problem. “The root cause is supply,” said Priya Mehta, a transport policy researcher at the Greenfield Institute for Mobility Studies in Edinburgh. “You can lock down the booking portal as tightly as you like, but if there are simply not enough examiners conducting enough tests, people will find a way around any system. The government must invest in training and retaining qualified examiners.” Mehta noted that examiner numbers have declined by roughly 11 percent since 2020, even as licence applications have risen.
The government said it would simultaneously recruit an additional 450 driving examiners over the next 18 months and extend testing hours at 40 high-demand centres to include Saturday evenings and some Sunday mornings. Ministers also confirmed they are considering tightening enforcement against resellers, potentially classifying the resale of government-issued appointment slots as a form of fraud under existing consumer protection legislation. A formal consultation on the legal question is expected to launch in June.
For now, the DVSA said it was deploying enhanced bot-detection software immediately as a stopgap measure, and urged applicants who have paid third parties for test slots to report the transactions through a newly established online portal. The agency did not indicate whether any refunds would be available for those who had already paid above-market prices. “We understand the frustration,” an agency spokesperson said in a written statement. “We are committed to ensuring every person who needs a driving test can access one fairly, affordably, and without resorting to unofficial channels.”
Whether the reforms will arrive fast enough to relieve pressure on the hundreds of thousands of learner drivers currently caught in the backlog remains an open question. Industry observers expect the new booking system to face considerable scrutiny during its rollout, and parliamentary critics have already signalled they will monitor compliance closely. Separate figures published this week by a motoring research body estimated that learner drivers collectively lose an estimated £120 million in earnings and productivity each year due to delayed test availability, a figure the agency did not contest. For James Hartley and thousands like him, the changes are welcome — if overdue. “I just hope the next person who needs their licence for a job doesn’t have to pay what I paid,” he said.