Probe over claims royal police officers slept on duty

LONDON — Britain’s independent police watchdog confirmed Saturday that it has launched a formal investigation into allegations that a number of officers assigned to royal protection duties fell asleep while on active guard shifts at a palace residence, raising serious questions about oversight standards within one of the country’s most prestigious and security-sensitive policing units. The investigation was opened following a complaint filed by a senior member of palace staff, according to a statement from the watchdog, which did not identify the specific residence or the officers involved, citing operational security concerns.

The allegations, which first surfaced through an internal whistleblower report passed to the watchdog in late April, claim that at least three officers were found asleep at their posts on separate occasions over a six-week period earlier this year. The watchdog said it received corroborating accounts from two additional palace staff members and that preliminary review of the claims found them “sufficiently credible” to warrant a full independent investigation rather than a force-level internal inquiry. The Metropolitan Police, which provides the royal protection unit, said it was cooperating fully with the watchdog’s probe and had launched its own parallel review of shift schedules and supervision protocols.

The Metropolitan Police’s royal protection command employs several hundred officers and is responsible for close protection and fixed-site security across a number of official residences and public engagements. Officers assigned to the unit are drawn from the wider Metropolitan force and undergo specialist vetting and training. The command has faced scrutiny on previous occasions — most notably following a 2023 incident in which an individual was found in restricted grounds at a royal estate — but allegations of officers sleeping on duty represent a different category of concern, touching directly on the culture and management of the unit.

Former senior officers who commented on the matter Saturday described the allegations as serious but not unprecedented in high-pressure, round-the-clock policing environments. “Fatigue is a genuine operational risk in any organisation that runs continuous shifts,” said retired commander Helena Forsythe, who spent twelve years in specialist protection policing before retiring in 2021. “The question is not whether individuals were tired — they probably were — but whether the supervision and shift structure created conditions where sleeping on duty became possible without detection. That is a management failure as much as an individual one.” Forsythe said the investigation should look carefully at whether officers were working excessive hours or consecutive night shifts without adequate rest periods.

The police watchdog said it had assigned a team of four investigators to the case and expected to deliver a preliminary report within twelve weeks. If the allegations are substantiated, the watchdog has the power to recommend disciplinary action against the officers involved and to require the Metropolitan Police to implement specific remedial measures. In the most serious cases, findings can be referred to the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration of criminal charges, though watchdog officials cautioned that such an outcome was not anticipated in the current matter.

Police unions responded cautiously to the announcement, calling for the investigation to proceed without prejudging outcomes. A spokesperson for one of the major police staff associations said officers in royal protection roles routinely work under intense pressure and often irregular hours, and that the investigation should consider systemic factors alongside individual conduct. “We expect our members to maintain the highest standards, and in the vast majority of cases they do,” the spokesperson said. “But we also need to ensure that the conditions they are working in make those standards achievable.”

Downing Street said the prime minister had been briefed on the investigation and had full confidence in the watchdog’s independence. A palace spokesperson said the relevant royal household was aware of the investigation and would make no further comment while the inquiry was ongoing. The Metropolitan Police said it had taken immediate steps to increase supervisory oversight of fixed-site protection duties pending the outcome of the investigation and declined to specify what those steps entailed for security reasons.

The investigation is expected to conclude by late summer, with a full published report to follow subject to national security redactions. Police oversight advocates said the case underscored the need for regular independent audits of specialist policing units, which they argued operate with insufficient external scrutiny. “This is exactly the kind of situation that independent oversight exists to catch,” said one transparency researcher. “The watchdog is doing its job. The question is what systemic changes will follow.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top