Rescue diver dies during search for bodies of Italians who drowned in Maldives caves

MALE, Maldives — A rescue diver died Saturday while searching the interior of an underwater cave system for the bodies of two Italian tourists who drowned there earlier in the week, Maldivian National Defence Force officials confirmed, raising the death toll from the incident to three and intensifying calls for stricter access controls at the cave site and at similar high-risk dive locations across the archipelago.

The rescue diver, a 38-year-old Maldivian professional with extensive technical diving credentials, lost consciousness at an estimated depth of 28 meters inside a submerged passage within the cave system near Raa Atoll, in the northern part of the island chain. A second team member was able to surface and alert the incident command, but resuscitation efforts conducted aboard a support vessel were unsuccessful. The diver’s name was withheld pending notification of his immediate family. Authorities said a formal inquest into his death had been opened and that the cause remained under investigation.

The operation had begun earlier in the week after two Italian nationals — a man and a woman, both in their late 30s and from the Lombardy region — failed to surface from an unsupervised dive at the cave site. The pair were guests at a nearby resort and had arranged the dive independently, without engaging a licensed local guide. Their bodies had not been recovered by Saturday evening. Defence force officials said the search would resume Sunday with additional specialist personnel flown in from the capital, Male, and that the timeline for recovery operations was uncertain given the complexity of the cave environment.

Cave diving occupies a distinct and widely acknowledged category of extreme risk within the broader recreational diving community. In contrast to open-water diving, cave environments offer no direct access to the surface. Divers must navigate by means of guide lines, manage multiple redundant air sources, operate in often zero-visibility conditions caused by silt disturbance, and maintain the psychological composure to reverse course and exit under stress — skills that demand formal training and hundreds of hours of incremental certification dives to develop safely. International cave diving organizations recommend that no diver penetrate a submerged cave beyond the reach of ambient light without having completed a recognized cave diving certification program, a standard that the two Italian victims are understood not to have met.

The site near Raa Atoll has been the subject of informal warnings from local dive operators for several years. Multiple operators in the area, speaking to this reporter on condition of anonymity because of ongoing discussions with regulators, said the cave had attracted recreational divers with open-water or, at most, advanced-open-water certification who were unaware of — or had underestimated — the specific hazards of cave penetration. “We have been flagging this site to the relevant authorities since at least 2023,” one operator said. “We have asked for physical markers, for a formal access restriction, for anything that would stop people going in there without the right training. This tragedy was foreseeable.”

Maldivian tourism officials expressed deep condolences and said the Ministry of Tourism was conducting an expedited review of safety protocols at known cave dive sites across the country. The Italian embassy in Colombo, which handles consular matters for the Maldives in the absence of a resident mission, confirmed it was in contact with the families of both Italian victims and was coordinating with Maldivian authorities on documentation and repatriation procedures. Acquaintances of the couple described them as capable and enthusiastic open-water divers who had visited the Maldives previously and had been looking forward to exploring the island’s underwater terrain.

The death of a rescue diver in the course of a body-recovery operation added a dimension of professional tragedy to an already grievous sequence of events and prompted the incident commander to suspend further cave penetration dives for a period of reassessment Saturday afternoon. Underwater rescue and recovery operations in confined cave systems are widely regarded within the technical diving community as among the most dangerous environments that emergency responders encounter, combining extreme depth, restricted movement, navigational complexity, and the disorienting effects of fine sediment suspended in the water column by the passage of rescue teams.

A necropsy of the Italian victims would be conducted once their bodies were recovered. A parallel safety review of cave dive sites across the Maldives was expected to be completed within 30 days, according to officials, though no specific regulatory changes had been announced by Saturday evening.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top