Toddlers among more than 50 schoolchildren kidnapped in Nigeria

KADUNA, Nigeria — Gunmen abducted more than 50 children, including toddlers as young as two years old, from a community school in northwestern Nigeria on Friday morning, state government officials and witnesses said, in one of the largest mass kidnappings of schoolchildren recorded in the country in recent years. The attack prompted an emergency security response, drew condemnation from the federal government in Abuja, and reignited urgent debate about the persistent failure to protect schools in a region that has suffered hundreds of such incidents over the past several years.

The attack occurred at approximately 7:30 a.m. local time at the Hillside Community School in the town of Rafin Gora in Kaduna State, as children were assembling for morning lessons. Witnesses who spoke by telephone described a group of between 30 and 40 armed men, some traveling on motorcycles and others on foot, who overwhelmed a single security guard before systematically moving through classrooms and herding children into the surrounding bushland. Teachers who attempted to intervene were beaten; two sustained injuries serious enough to require hospital treatment, according to the local health clinic director, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to press.

Kaduna State Governor Emmanuel Okafor confirmed the kidnapping at an emergency press briefing Friday afternoon, saying 54 children between the ages of two and twelve had been taken. He said Nigerian army units, personnel from a regional counter-kidnapping task force, and police mobile squadrons had been deployed to pursue the abductors, and that a surveillance aircraft had been tasked to assist the search. He pledged that every resource available to the state and federal governments would be brought to bear and that the children would be returned safely, without offering a timetable or other specifics about operational plans.

Northwestern Nigeria has been plagued for several years by violence attributed to armed criminal groups that Nigerian security officials and regional analysts describe as bandits, a term covering a range of loosely organized gangs that have carried out hundreds of kidnappings across Kaduna, Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto states for ransom. Schools have been a recurring target because they offer large numbers of potential hostages in locations that are often remote and underguarded. The pattern contrasts with the politically and religiously motivated kidnappings carried out by an extremist insurgency in the country’s northeast, where a militant group abducted hundreds of schoolgirls in an incident that drew worldwide condemnation more than a decade ago and became a symbol of the urgent need for girls’ education protection globally.

Security researchers and humanitarian organizations have documented a significant escalation in school attacks across the northwest in recent years. A regional NGO that monitors such incidents said Friday that this was the 14th confirmed school kidnapping in Kaduna State alone since the beginning of the current calendar year, though never before involving children as young as those reported taken in Friday’s attack. The inclusion of toddlers among the victims appeared to suggest that the attackers had swept up children indiscriminately rather than selecting older students who might be perceived as more capable of surviving captivity, a distinction that alarmed child welfare advocates.

UNICEF Nigeria issued a statement Friday calling the abduction a horrifying violation of children’s rights and urging authorities to secure the children’s release without conditions that could incentivize future attacks. Human rights advocates have long argued that ransom payments, whether made by governments, families or intermediaries, function as an indirect subsidy for the kidnapping industry, effectively guaranteeing that schools will remain targets. Ngozi Amechi, director of a Lagos-based child protection organization that has monitored school kidnappings across Nigeria for five years, said the cycle would not end until there was a structural and permanent security presence in vulnerable communities and until those responsible faced genuine accountability.

Parents gathered outside the school compound through the afternoon and evening, many weeping openly, as soldiers cordoned off the immediate area and officials worked to compile a verified list of missing children. Local officials said they were prioritizing contact with each family. No group had claimed responsibility for the attack as of Friday night, and there was no immediate indication of contact from the abductors regarding ransom demands. Federal authorities said they were treating the situation as a top national security priority, though they declined to provide operational details about the ongoing search operation in order to avoid compromising efforts to locate the children.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top