LONDON — National health service leaders said Tuesday that hospitals across the country were managing patient care without significant disruption despite an ongoing walkout by junior doctors, even as union officials warned that the industrial action could escalate if contract negotiations did not resume within the week.
The chief executive of the national health authority, Margaret Hollis, told reporters at a briefing in the capital that emergency departments had remained open and fully staffed throughout the first 72 hours of the strike, with consultant physicians and senior nurses absorbing much of the caseload normally handled by junior doctors. Hollis said roughly 94 percent of planned surgical procedures had gone ahead as scheduled, a figure she described as remarkable given the scale of the labor dispute.
The walkout, which began Saturday at 7 a.m., involves approximately 47,000 junior doctors who are disputing a pay structure they say has left them earning less in real terms than their counterparts from a decade ago, once adjusted for inflation. The British Medical Association’s junior doctors committee voted in favor of the action by a margin of more than three to one in a ballot concluded last month.
Health officials acknowledged that some elective procedures had been postponed, adding to a backlog that already stood at more than 7.2 million cases before the strike began. Community health trusts in the north of the country reported heavier strain than those in London and the southeast, where rota gaps were easier to fill given the higher concentration of senior medical staff.
Dr. Yusuf Abubakar, a spokesperson for the junior doctors’ representative body, pushed back against the government’s characterization of the situation as manageable. He said the apparent stability masked chronic understaffing that had been present for years and was now simply more visible. “The system is coping because it is burning through the goodwill of consultants working double shifts,” Abubakar said. “That is not sustainable beyond a few days.”
The government has maintained that its most recent pay offer, which amounted to a consolidated 8.5 percent increase phased over two years, was the maximum the public finances could support without raiding budgets set aside for hospital infrastructure and community mental health services. Treasury officials have resisted calls to reopen the spending envelope, arguing that doing so would set a precedent for other public sector unions currently in their own pay talks.
A senior health economist at a prominent think tank, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to comment publicly on active negotiations, said the strike reflected a structural tension that neither side had been willing to resolve through longer-term workforce planning. She noted that the number of medical school graduates had not kept pace with the growth in demand for hospital services, leaving individual doctors to carry caseloads that would have been considered excessive a generation ago.
Patients’ advocacy groups called on both sides to return to the table immediately, warning that an extended stoppage would place the most vulnerable members of the public at unacceptable risk. A survey conducted by one such group over the weekend found that nearly one in five respondents had postponed seeking care in the previous month because they were uncertain whether services would be available.
The health secretary is scheduled to appear before a parliamentary committee on Thursday, where lawmakers are expected to press for a detailed account of contingency planning and ask whether the government would consider using emergency powers to compel doctors back to work. Officials have so far declined to comment on whether that option is under consideration. A further update on service levels is expected Wednesday from regional health trusts.
Health system analysts noted that the dispute was unfolding against a backdrop of long-standing concerns about recruitment and retention, with survey data showing that a growing share of newly qualified doctors were considering emigrating to work in health systems in Australia, Canada, and the Gulf states, where pay and working conditions were perceived as more favorable. One workforce planning researcher said the government’s response to the current strike would be watched carefully by medical students currently in training, and that the outcome could meaningfully influence whether the next generation of doctors chose to build their careers domestically or abroad. She said a failure to reach a credible settlement had implications well beyond the immediate dispute.