Man found hiding in cupboard during cannabis farm raid

Police officers executing a warrant at a suspected cannabis farm in the Brackmere district of Caldenton on Saturday morning discovered a 34-year-old man concealed inside a kitchen cupboard beneath the sink, according to a statement issued by Caldenton Constabulary’s organised crime unit. The man, identified only as a local resident with no previous convictions on record, was found during a systematic search of the three-storey terraced property after officers first detected the distinctive odour associated with large-scale cannabis cultivation while conducting a routine neighbourhood patrol the previous evening.

The operation, codenamed Clearleaf, involved 22 officers drawn from the constabulary’s organised crime unit and two specialist search teams, and was supported throughout by three drug-detection dogs. Officers entered the property at approximately 6:45 a.m. under the authority of a warrant obtained from the Caldenton Magistrates Court late Friday. The raid forms part of a broader six-month investigation into a distribution network believed to be responsible for supplying Class B narcotics across three counties in the region. Police declined to name all suspects or disclose specific investigative details that could compromise ongoing legal proceedings.

Inside the property, officers discovered what they described as a sophisticated, two-floor growing operation containing an estimated 1,200 cannabis plants at various stages of cultivation, along with commercial-grade hydroponic lighting rigs, industrial ventilation ducting, and a water-cooling system that had been illegally tapped into the building’s mains supply. Detective Inspector Carla Pemberton, who led the operation, told a media briefing at constabulary headquarters that the farm represented one of the largest single-property cannabis seizures the unit had recorded in the past five years. She noted that the scale of infrastructure investment indicated significant financial backing behind the operation.

The man found in the cupboard was reportedly uninjured and offered no resistance when officers opened the cabinet door. He was arrested on suspicion of cannabis production and supply and taken to Caldenton Central Police Station, where he remained in custody pending interview as of Sunday afternoon. Two other individuals, both men aged in their mid-twenties, were arrested at separate addresses in the Brackmere area in connection with the same investigation within hours of the initial raid. All three suspects were expected to appear before the magistrates court at the start of the coming week.

Community safety advocates in the Brackmere area said the discovery underscored the persistent challenge of identifying illicit operations hidden within ordinary residential streets. Neighbourhood Watch coordinator Yvonne Platt noted that local residents had raised intermittent concerns about unusual foot traffic at the property and a persistent, low-frequency electrical humming audible from the pavement over several months. Many residents were uncertain whether their observations warranted formal reporting. Police confirmed that anonymous tip-offs contributed to initiating the investigation, and commended residents for coming forward while urging the community to continue reporting concerns without delay.

Constabulary officials estimated that the seized crop, had it entered the street market intact, would have carried a wholesale value in the region of 750,000 pounds. The plants and all associated equipment have been catalogued as evidence, and a forensic accounting team has been engaged to trace any financial flows connected to the operation. A review of neighbouring properties is also underway to determine whether related cultivation or distribution activity may have extended beyond the raided address. Caldenton Constabulary said anyone with further information is encouraged to contact the non-emergency police line or submit details anonymously through the independent crime-reporting service.

The Clearleaf operation is the latest in a series of significant drug enforcement actions across Caldenton and the surrounding region this year. In January, officers dismantled a separate growing network responsible for distributing cannabis to secondary schools in two neighbouring districts, resulting in four convictions. Constabulary data show that reported cannabis cultivation offences in the region increased by 31 percent in the 12 months to March, a trend Detective Inspector Pemberton attributed in part to increased community vigilance and improved inter-agency intelligence sharing rather than a genuine rise in the underlying rate of criminal activity.

Broader enforcement trends in the region suggest that indoor cannabis cultivation has become increasingly professionalised over the past three years, with criminal networks sourcing hydroponic equipment legally through horticultural suppliers and then diverting it for illicit use. A constabulary intelligence report published in February noted that the average estimated value of cannabis farm seizures across the county had risen by 44 percent since 2023, reflecting both higher plant counts per property and improved growing techniques that produce a more potent and therefore more valuable product. Officers said Saturday’s operation had yielded forensic leads they expect to follow up on in the coming weeks.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top