MILAN — A sprawling retrospective honoring Aldo Ferrini, long celebrated in New York and Paris galleries but conspicuously absent from his home city’s cultural calendar, opened Saturday at the Palazzo delle Arti di Milano, drawing more than 4,000 visitors on its first day and reigniting a decades-old debate about Italy’s complicated and often indifferent relationship with its own avant-garde artists.
Ferrini, who died in 2019 at the age of 81, spent the better part of four decades in New York after leaving Milan in 1978, and it was in the United States that his vivid, consumer-culture-skewering canvases first found a sustained audience. His silk-screened portraits of pasta boxes, Fiat dashboards, and Italian television personalities — rendered in the acid yellows and electric pinks that became his trademark — were purchased by collectors in at least 22 countries over his lifetime, yet no major Milanese institution mounted a solo show during his years of greatest productivity or in the final decade of his life. He died without ever having been honoured by the city that shaped him, a fact that his admirers regarded as a civic embarrassment of the first order.
The exhibition, titled “Casa Perduta” (Lost Home), spans three floors of the Palazzo delle Arti and includes 187 works, many of them on loan from private American and Swiss collections, as well as 14 pieces that have never previously been displayed publicly. Curated by art historian Dr. Lucia Ferrandino of the University of Bologna, the show traces Ferrini’s trajectory from his early figurative paintings produced in a rented room in the Navigli district to the large-format installations that dominated the final decade of his career. Ferrandino spent three years assembling loans from collectors across four continents and said some lenders initially declined to participate, uncertain that Milan would treat the work with the seriousness it deserved.
“He used to say that Milan exported him like it exported espresso machines — efficiently and without sentiment,” Ferrandino told reporters at a press preview on Friday. “What this exhibition does is bring him back through the front door, with the recognition he should have received thirty years ago. There is something bittersweet about doing this for a man who can no longer walk these rooms, but there is also something necessary. The city owes this conversation to itself.”
City officials acknowledged the overdue nature of the tribute. Deputy Mayor for Culture Renata Colombi called the delay “a genuine institutional failure” and announced that the municipality would fund an educational programme built around Ferrini’s archive in Milanese secondary schools. The programme, set to launch in the autumn term, will reach an estimated 11,000 students in its first year through classroom workshops, digital resources, and a dedicated visiting exhibition that will travel to six schools in underserved neighbourhoods. Colombi stopped short of explaining why the city had never acted sooner, saying only that institutions sometimes move at a pace that does not honour the artists they are meant to serve.
The retrospective has nonetheless drawn sharp commentary from critics who argue that Italian cultural institutions continue to privilege old masters and internationally recognised foreign names over homegrown contemporary artists. Art commentator Marco Salviati, writing in a widely circulated column this week, described the Ferrini show as “the kind of posthumous redemption that costs nothing and changes nothing” and called on the city to establish a permanent fund for living artists working in unconventional media. Salviati pointed to three other Italian artists of Ferrini’s generation who he said remained similarly overlooked, two of them still alive, both living abroad.
Attendance projections for the twelve-week run stand at 95,000, which would place “Casa Perduta” among the top five most visited exhibitions in Milan this calendar year. An accompanying catalogue, running to 340 pages and published in Italian, English, and French, includes previously unpublished correspondence between Ferrini and several American pop artists who were his contemporaries, shedding new light on the transatlantic cross-pollination that shaped the movement in the 1980s. Several of those letters, reproduced in facsimile, reveal a warmth and intellectual rigour that surprised even scholars who had studied Ferrini closely.
Ticket proceeds above operating costs will be donated to a residency programme for emerging Italian artists, a provision that the Ferrini estate negotiated as a condition of lending the works. The exhibition runs through August 10 at the Palazzo delle Arti di Milano, with late-night openings on Fridays and a programme of talks and film screenings scheduled throughout the summer.