Forty-three arrests after £4.5m police operation to keep rival London protests apart

LONDON — Police made 43 arrests Saturday after a £4.5 million security operation designed to prevent violent clashes between two rival protest movements marching simultaneously through central London, in what authorities described as one of the largest and most logistically demanding public-order operations mounted in the capital in recent memory.

The demonstrations — one organized by the National Renewal Front, a right-wing populist group, and a counter-protest assembled by the anti-fascist coalition Civil Resistance Now — drew a combined estimated attendance of 35,000 people, according to Metropolitan Police figures released Saturday evening. Officers deployed in numbers exceeding 3,200, supported by mounted units, aerial drone surveillance, and a network of mobile CCTV command vehicles positioned at key intersections along both route corridors.

Commander Rosalind Achebe, the Metropolitan Police officer commanding the overall operation, told reporters that while the day had been largely peaceful, tensions had flared at three separate locations where groups of participants attempted to breach the designated exclusion zones established to keep the marches physically separated. “We identified individuals who were clearly intent on causing disorder and acted swiftly to prevent that from happening”, Achebe said. “The vast majority of those attending both events exercised their democratic right to protest entirely lawfully and we are genuinely grateful for their cooperation throughout what was a complex and demanding day.”

Of the 43 arrested, 27 faced charges of breaching conditions attached to the public order permits, nine were held on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, and seven were detained in connection with possession of prohibited items, including smoke canisters and a small number of blunt instruments. Twelve officers sustained minor injuries during the operation, with two transported to a nearby hospital as a precautionary measure. Both were subsequently discharged.

The £4.5 million cost of the operation drew immediate and pointed criticism from London city councillors across several boroughs, who argued the funds could be far more productively deployed on neighbourhood policing and community services. “We are spending the equivalent of 60 front-line officer annual salaries on a single Saturday afternoon because two groups of hardliners insist on marching through the same city on the same day”, said Councillor Tariq Hussain of Southwark Borough Council. “This pattern of expenditure is neither sustainable nor defensible when local policing is being cut.”

The National Renewal Front organized its march to protest what the group describes as failures in immigration enforcement and recent government changes to national asylum processing rules. Civil Resistance Now mobilized in direct opposition, with its organizers citing what they describe as a sustained and organized rise in far-right activity in British public life. Both events had been granted permits under conditions set by the Metropolitan Police under the Public Order Act, giving officers the power to restrict routes, timing, permitted group sizes, and the use of amplification equipment during the marches.

Experts in public order policing said the cost figure, while eye-catching, reflected the genuine operational complexity of managing two ideologically opposed and emotionally charged crowds moving through a dense urban environment with hundreds of thousands of bystanders. “The logistics are formidable — you need parallel command structures, dedicated liaison teams for each march, real-time intelligence on both groups simultaneously, and the capacity to respond instantly if the cordons fail at any point”, said Dr. Marcus Elwood, a policing researcher at the Lawford Institute for Security Studies. “Four and a half million pounds is a significant sum, but a major disorder incident could generate far greater costs in property damage, injuries, and lasting community harm.”

Human rights monitors present at the event said they had documented several incidents in which officers appeared to deploy force before protesters had visibly or materially breached their permitted conditions, and called for an independent review of specific operational decisions. The Metropolitan Police Professional Standards department said it would examine all footage formally submitted to it through the proper complaints procedure.

Saturday’s operation unfolds amid a broader national debate about the appropriate scope and boundaries of protest policing, with parliamentary committees currently examining proposed amendments to public order legislation that critics argue grant police disproportionate discretionary powers to curtail legitimate demonstrations before disorder has actually occurred.

Neither the National Renewal Front nor Civil Resistance Now had announced plans for a follow-up demonstration by Saturday night, though both organizations issued statements declaring the day a vindication of their respective causes. Police said a full operational debrief would be conducted in the coming week, and that lessons identified would inform planning for future high-risk public events in the capital.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top