OTTAWA — Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney held a brief but symbolically charged phone call Tuesday with the four astronauts aboard the Artemis II mission, speaking live with the crew as they completed a series of orbital exercises approximately 402 kilometers above the Pacific Ocean, the Canadian Space Agency confirmed. The call, which lasted roughly 12 minutes, marked the first time a sitting Canadian head of government has spoken directly with a crewed spacecraft in orbit.
Carney, who took office in March following a snap federal election, told reporters afterward that the conversation was a reminder of what international scientific cooperation can accomplish. The Artemis II mission, a joint effort by NASA and several partner agencies including the Canadian Space Agency, placed Canadian astronaut Dr. Renee Ouellet among the four-person crew — a milestone that made Canada only the second country to send a national to lunar-trajectory orbit.
Dr. Ouellet, speaking from the command module, said she could see the lights of Canadian cities as she passed over the country at roughly 28,000 kilometers per hour. “It puts everything in perspective,” she said, according to a transcript released by the Canadian Space Agency. “You see the whole continent in about four minutes. No border is visible from here.” Mission Commander Hector Vasquez of the United States replied that the view of Earth had changed the entire crew’s sense of geography and their understanding of national boundaries as human constructions rather than physical realities.
The call was coordinated through mission control in Houston and relayed via a dedicated S-band communications link. Officials said audio quality was near-perfect despite the distance. Carney used the opportunity to announce a CA$340 million increase to Canada’s contribution to the Lunar Gateway project, the planned space station intended to orbit the Moon and support sustained lunar surface operations through the 2030s. The funding announcement had been kept confidential until the moment of the broadcast, lending the call an additional layer of news value beyond its ceremonial dimension.
Space policy analysts said the call served dual purposes: it was a genuine show of national pride, but it also reinforced Canada’s strategic alignment with the broader Artemis architecture at a moment when several spacefaring nations are competing for roles in the next phase of lunar exploration. “Carney is sending a message to international partners that Canada intends to be a serious player, not just a flag on the mission patch,” said Dr. Imelda Forsythe, a space policy researcher at Carleton University. “The money announcement attached to the call was deliberate. Timing it this way guarantees maximum international visibility.”
The Canadian Space Agency has been a formal partner in the Artemis program since its inception, contributing the Canadarm3 robotic system that will be installed on the Lunar Gateway. That contribution gave Canada its seat in securing an astronaut berth, under terms negotiated between the agency and NASA in 2023. Officials said Tuesday’s call was also intended to highlight that partnership to a domestic audience that may be less familiar with the mechanics of how Canada earned its place on the mission.
The Artemis II mission, now in its 11th day, is the first crewed flight beyond low Earth orbit since the mid-1970s. The crew is scheduled to perform a figure-eight trajectory around the Moon before returning to Earth in approximately nine days. Real-time telemetry shared publicly by mission control showed all primary spacecraft systems operating within normal parameters at the time of the call. Mission managers described the spacecraft’s thermal protection systems and propulsion as performing exactly as designed.
Public reaction in Canada was broadly positive, with social media posts featuring clips of the audio feed trending nationally for several hours Tuesday afternoon. School boards in at least four provinces said they had arranged classroom screenings of the live audio feed during the morning broadcast window. Opposition leaders offered measured congratulations while noting that the funding announcement deserved fuller parliamentary scrutiny before the final allocations were committed. The Carney government indicated the new Lunar Gateway allocation would be detailed in a supplementary budget estimate to be tabled next month.
For the crew, the call was one of several scheduled communications with dignitaries and educational institutions planned for the mission’s middle phase. A session with secondary school students from four countries is scheduled for Thursday, and a follow-up call with representatives of international partner space agencies is set for the weekend. Mission planners said such engagements are deliberately built into long-duration flights to maintain crew morale, sustain public engagement, and demonstrate the human dimensions of exploration programs that are otherwise dominated by technical coverage.