Harry and Meghan to produce Afghan war film for Netflix

LOS ANGELES — The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced Thursday that their Archewell Productions banner will produce a feature-length drama set during the early years of the conflict in Afghanistan, with principal photography scheduled to begin in late 2026 under the terms of a continuing multi-title agreement with the global streaming platform Netflix, in what would represent the production company’s first foray into large-scale scripted cinema.

The project, whose working title has not been publicly disclosed, is described in a statement from Archewell as “a story of ordinary soldiers, local interpreters, and the families caught between them — a drama about what war costs the people who are least asked about the price.” The film will be directed by British-Afghan filmmaker Nadia Farouk, whose debut feature won the audience prize at three international festivals last year and who was identified by producers as the creative anchor of the project from an early stage in development. A screenplay by Farouk and co-writer James Elton has already been completed, according to the Archewell statement, and a second draft has been reviewed by all principal producers.

Prince Harry, who served two tours in Afghanistan as a British Army officer before stepping back from front-line duties in 2012, will serve as executive producer alongside Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Archewell’s head of film, Tyler Brockett. The statement said Harry’s direct military experience informed the production’s commitment to, in its words, “authenticity and a duty of care toward the communities whose lives the story depicts, including veterans, families of the fallen, and Afghan civilians whose country bore costs that are still being counted.” Harry will not appear on screen in the film in any capacity.

Netflix confirmed the project in a separate statement, calling it “a significant and timely addition to our slate of films examining modern conflict through a human rather than a political lens.” The streaming company declined to disclose the production budget. Industry analysts who track studio and streaming spending estimated the figure at between $40 million and $60 million based on comparable recent productions, the scope described in official materials, and the structure of Archewell’s existing deal with the platform.

The announcement drew a range of reactions across the entertainment industry and beyond. Veterans’ advocacy groups in both the United Kingdom and the United States issued cautiously welcoming statements on Thursday, several of them citing Harry’s personal military record as a factor that would likely shape the production’s approach and its credibility with the communities it depicts. The British Armed Forces charity Soldiers Forward Alliance said it had been approached by Archewell representatives about serving as a formal consultant on the project and that it was in preliminary discussions about the arrangement. “We will reserve our full judgment for the finished film,” said the charity’s director, Col. (ret.) Sandra Holt. “But we will engage in good faith with a production that asks the right questions from the outset.”

Some political commentators in London questioned whether a member of the royal family, even one who has relinquished his official duties, should be attaching his name to a film about a conflict that remains an unresolved and sensitive subject in British public life, where questions about the rationale, conduct, and legacy of the Afghanistan mission remain politically charged. A spokesperson for Archewell said Harry’s role was that of a producer and that the film would be evaluated on its artistic and human merits when it reached audiences.

Archewell Productions has released four documentary projects and one drama series under its Netflix arrangement since the partnership was first announced. The Afghan war film would be the company’s first feature-length scripted production, a development that entertainment industry analysts said signals a deliberate ambition to compete at a different scale and in a different genre than the work the company has produced to date. Casting has not yet begun, and no formal release window has been announced, though Netflix indicated the film would premiere globally on the platform without a theatrical exclusivity period.

Observers of the streaming industry noted that the project arrives at a moment when platforms are competing aggressively for prestige war dramas, a genre that has performed strongly with award bodies and with subscribers in the 35-and-older demographic that streaming services have prioritised in recent programming cycles. Whether Archewell’s relatively limited production track record will prove an obstacle or an asset — bringing freshness rather than formula — is a question that executives and analysts said they expected the development period to answer before cameras roll.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top