WESTHAVEN, England — Police described their search for a missing 14-year-old boy as “extensive” Saturday, calling on the public for urgent assistance as investigators expanded the geographic scope of the operation into its third day and deployed specialist units including a drone team, underwater search divers, and canine search dogs across a broadening area of the county. Authorities said they were following multiple lines of inquiry simultaneously and that every available resource had been committed to the case.
The boy, whose name has not been released by authorities in line with protocols protecting the identities of missing minors, was last seen leaving Westhaven Secondary School shortly after 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday. He did not arrive home that afternoon and has made no contact with family members, friends, or school staff since his disappearance, according to a statement issued by Westhaven Constabulary. His mobile phone has not registered on any network since shortly after he left the school grounds, a detail investigators said they were treating as significant.
Detective Inspector Colin Farrell, the senior officer coordinating the search, told reporters at a press conference Saturday morning that his team had interviewed more than 80 people and reviewed footage from 47 separate CCTV cameras across the town and surrounding road network. Officers have conducted door-to-door inquiries covering a radius of nearly four miles from the school and have searched multiple parks, green spaces, canal towpaths, and disused industrial buildings in the area. A specialist lowland rescue team searched dense woodland on the eastern edge of Westhaven on Friday night using thermal imaging equipment. “We are conducting one of the most extensive searches this force has mounted for a missing person in recent years,” Farrell said. “We are following every credible line of inquiry and we are not ruling anything in or out at this stage. Our priority is finding this boy and reuniting him with his family.”
Authorities said the boy had no known prior history of going missing and that family members, who are being supported around the clock by specialist liaison officers, described his disappearance as entirely out of character. His school confirmed he had attended all lessons on Wednesday, had submitted homework that morning, and had not given any indication to teachers or fellow students that he was troubled or planned to leave. A school counselor who knew him well described him as engaged and socially connected. No disciplinary issues or signs of distress had been recorded in his file.
The search operation has drawn significant public support, with more than 180 volunteers joining organized search parties in the countryside east and south of the town on Friday evening, one of the largest civilian turnouts for a missing person search in the region’s recent history. The Westhaven Mountain and Lowland Rescue Team, a specialist volunteer unit with trained navigators and medical responders, was called in Thursday to assist with terrain searches in a wooded area near the Westhaven reservoir. Officers declined to say whether anything of evidential significance had been found there, citing the need to preserve the integrity of the inquiry.
Child safety organizations have urged the public to exercise care when sharing information and to avoid speculation on social media, noting that unverified content amplified online can divert investigative resources, complicate the inquiry, and cause additional distress to the family at an already agonizing time. Dr. Harriet Cross, a missing persons expert who consults regularly with police forces across the region, noted that statistically the majority of missing teenagers are located within the first 72 hours but that cases extending beyond that window require sustained and systematic effort. “Every hour matters and public vigilance has genuine investigative value,” she said. “But it is equally important that all information goes directly to police rather than being shared or distorted online. The family’s wellbeing and the integrity of the inquiry both depend on that discipline.”
Police have released a detailed description of the boy’s clothing — a dark navy hoodie bearing a small white logo on the left chest, grey jogging bottoms with a white side stripe, and white trainers — and are asking anyone who may have seen him or who holds any information about his whereabouts to contact Westhaven Constabulary immediately via the dedicated tip line established for the inquiry. The force said it is working in parallel with national missing persons agencies and has distributed alerts to forces in neighboring counties. The family issued a brief personal appeal through police: “We love you and we just want to know you are safe. Please reach out to us or to anyone around you who can help you get home.”