Senior IS leader killed in joint operation, US and Nigeria say

ABUJA — A senior leader of the Islamic State’s West Africa affiliate was killed in a joint operation conducted by United States and Nigerian forces, the two governments announced Friday, describing the strike as a significant setback to the militant network’s command structure in the Lake Chad basin region. American and Nigerian military spokespeople said in coordinated statements released simultaneously in Washington and Abuja that the individual did not survive the operation, which took place Wednesday in the remote northeastern corridor along Nigeria’s border with Niger.

The individual was identified by U.S. Africa Command as Abu Khalid al-Barnawi, a nom de guerre used by an operational commander whom American officials described as responsible for coordinating financing, recruitment and logistical support across Borno and Yobe states. Africa Command said he had been directly responsible for planning multiple attacks on Nigerian security forces and civilian settlements over the preceding 18 months, including a January assault on a village near the shores of Lake Chad that killed at least 31 people and displaced hundreds of others from surrounding communities.

The operation was described as a precision ground action supported by United States intelligence assets, though officials in both Washington and Abuja declined to specify the nature of that support or to describe in detail how the operation was planned and executed. No American service members were reported injured. A Nigerian military spokesperson said two Nigerian soldiers sustained minor injuries during a secondary engagement as forces withdrew from the operational area after confirming the target’s death. Medical personnel treated both soldiers in the field and they were reported fit for duty.

U.S. Africa Command, which oversees American military activities and partnership programs across the continent, said in a written statement that removing al-Barnawi from the battlefield would degrade the organization’s ability to plan and execute attacks and disrupt its capacity to move fighters and funds across borders. American officials said al-Barnawi had played a key role in coordinating financial transfers between the West Africa affiliate and IS networks operating across the broader Sahel region, including through informal money networks in northern Niger and Chad that had previously proved difficult to monitor or interdict.

Nigeria has battled the Islamic State West Africa Province, a splinter faction that formally broke from the Boko Haram insurgency in 2016, for nearly a decade. The group has carried out hundreds of attacks on military outposts, government installations, humanitarian workers and civilian communities in the country’s northeast, and has at various points expanded its operational footprint into the Lake Chad islands shared with Chad, Cameroon and Niger. A Multinational Joint Task Force comprising troops from all four Lake Chad basin nations has been conducting counter-insurgency operations in the region, with logistical, intelligence and training support from the United States and several European partner nations.

Security analysts cautioned against overstating the operational impact of a single commander’s death, while acknowledging that the action carried both tactical and symbolic significance. Dr. Fatima Hassan, a fellow at the Institute for Security Studies in Nairobi who specializes in Sahelian militant networks, said eliminating a figure at this level matters in terms of disrupting specific operational chains, but that organizations like the IS West Africa Province had demonstrated considerable resilience in replacing leadership from within their ranks. She said the more telling question was whether Friday’s announcement signaled a deeper and more consistent level of intelligence cooperation between Washington and Abuja, which she described as having been uneven in practice even when strong on paper.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Embassy in Abuja declined to characterize the broader current state of intelligence sharing arrangements but affirmed that both governments remained committed to deepening security cooperation. The Nigerian presidency welcomed the operation in a statement issued Friday afternoon, saying it reflected the government’s determination to eliminate extremist violence and protect citizens in the north. Civil society leaders in Borno State, while welcoming the news, renewed calls for parallel investment in reconstruction, economic recovery and community reconciliation in areas devastated by years of conflict. Maryam Usman, a humanitarian coordinator based in Maiduguri, said people have lost everything — homes, livelihoods and family members — and that military successes, however important, would not on their own bring lasting stability to a region that requires sustained attention and resources long after the fighting ends.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top