Switzerland to open secret files on Auschwitz ‘Angel of Death’ Mengele

BERN, Switzerland — The Swiss federal government announced Thursday that it will declassify and release a trove of previously secret documents related to Josef Mengele, the Nazi physician who conducted deadly experiments on prisoners at Auschwitz-Birkenau, as historians and Jewish advocacy groups pressed for greater transparency about the war criminal’s postwar flight and the shadowy network of individuals and institutions that aided him in avoiding capture for more than three decades.

The files, housed at the Federal Archives in Bern, include surveillance reports, diplomatic cables and internal government correspondence accumulated between the early 1950s and the mid-1980s — a period during which Mengele lived under aliases in South America while West German and international authorities intermittently tracked his movements. Swiss officials said the release, set to begin within 90 days, follows a formal review ordered by the Federal Council after sustained pressure from survivors’ organizations and academic researchers who argued the records were critical to completing the historical record of postwar Nazi impunity.

Mengele, widely known as the “Angel of Death” among Auschwitz survivors, served as a physician at the camp from 1943 until its liberation in January 1945. He personally oversaw the selection of hundreds of thousands of Jews, Roma, Sinti and others for immediate death in the gas chambers, and performed grotesque pseudoscientific experiments — including invasive surgical procedures carried out without anaesthesia — on twins, people with physical disabilities, and others he considered medically interesting. Historians estimate he was directly responsible for the selection and death of at least 400,000 people.

After the war, Mengele fled Germany using false identity documents, eventually making his way to South America. He lived in Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil under a series of aliases, benefiting at various points from assistance provided by former Nazi sympathizers and, according to historians, from the indifference or active obstruction of authorities who possessed information about his whereabouts. He died of a stroke while swimming near the Brazilian coastal town of Bertioga in 1979. His death was not publicly confirmed until 1985, when a grave was exhumed; DNA testing carried out years later definitively confirmed the remains were his.

Swiss authorities have previously acknowledged that Mengele transited Switzerland at least once after the war. The newly released files are expected to illuminate whether Swiss intelligence or law-enforcement agencies received actionable information about his location and, if so, whether they communicated that information to West German prosecutors seeking his extradition or instead suppressed it.

Dr. Miriam Hoffstein, a historian specializing in postwar Nazi escape networks at the University of Zurich, called the archive release a significant if overdue development. “We have long known that multiple governments held information that, had it been acted upon, could plausibly have led to Mengele’s capture decades earlier,” she said. “The precise shape of Swiss involvement — how much they knew, what they did with that knowledge, and what pressures may have shaped their decisions — remains poorly understood. These documents could finally answer some of those questions.”

Representatives of Holocaust survivor organizations welcomed the announcement but cautioned against expectations of a curated or incomplete release. “Partial disclosure perpetuates the historical evasion that allowed Mengele to die as a free man,” said the director of a Geneva-based Holocaust documentation center. “We are calling for full, unredacted access, with independent scholarly oversight of the review process.”

The Swiss Justice Ministry said a team of archivists and an independent historian appointed by the Federal Council would assess each document for release, with redactions limited to cases in which the identities of living confidential informants or third-party governments that provided intelligence under conditions of secrecy might otherwise be exposed. Officials indicated they expected the vast majority of the records to be released without modification, given their age and the deaths of virtually all the principal individuals involved.

The announcement places Switzerland within a broader wave of European archival transparency efforts. Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and Argentina have each opened additional records in recent years shedding new light on the ratlines — organized escape routes used by thousands of Nazi war criminals after 1945. Historians say the Swiss materials may prove particularly significant because of Switzerland’s geographic position, its financial institutions and its role as a hub for postwar international correspondence and intelligence activity. The release is expected to draw international scholarly attention and may prompt related requests to other European governments still holding sealed postwar records.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top