BRUSSELS — European airline executives and aviation industry bodies issued stark warnings Tuesday that higher passenger fares across routes between Europe and Asia are now inevitable, as the ongoing military conflict involving Iran continues to close Iranian airspace to Western-registered carriers and force airlines to reroute flights on longer, more expensive trajectories that add hours of travel time and hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional fuel costs per round trip. Industry leaders said the disruption, which has already driven economy fares on some corridors up by nearly a fifth, would deepen substantially if the airspace closure persists into the peak summer travel season.
Iranian airspace became effectively inaccessible to most European carriers after hostilities involving the country escalated sharply in late March, triggering emergency closures and transit restrictions that have not been lifted. Carriers operating between European hub airports such as London Heathrow, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam Schiphol and destinations in South and Southeast Asia have been compelled to divert either southward over the Arabian Sea or northward through Central Asian routing corridors. Both alternatives add between two and four hours of additional flight time depending on the city pair, with particularly severe impacts on routes to Mumbai, Bangkok, Singapore, and Tokyo.
The European Aviation Industry Council, a trade body representing more than 60 carriers, published a detailed cost analysis Wednesday estimating the collective additional fuel expenditure at approximately 2.4 billion euros per quarter for member airlines, calculated at prevailing jet fuel prices of roughly $0.98 per liter. The group’s director general, Simone Bertrand, told reporters at a press conference in Brussels that carriers had absorbed much of the increased cost since March in an effort to protect booking volumes but warned the approach was no longer financially viable. “Airlines are not charities,” Bertrand said. “If airspace remains closed through the summer travel season, passengers will see that cost reflected in their tickets. There is no other mechanism available to us.”
Pricing data compiled by travel analytics firm Altis Research showed that average economy-class fares on London-to-Singapore routes had already climbed 18 percent over the five weeks since rerouting became mandatory, while business-class fares on the same corridor rose a steeper 27 percent as airlines prioritized higher-margin cabin revenue to partially offset fuel overruns. Frankfurt-to-Tokyo routes showed broadly comparable increases, with some peak-summer itineraries now priced more than 40 percent above the equivalent booking from twelve months ago. The data covered the period from late March through the second week of May and was based on published fare filings across 14 European carriers.
The rerouting crisis arrives as European carriers had only recently restored profitability after years of post-pandemic restructuring and fleet rightsizing. Several mid-sized airlines operating thin-margin leisure routes to Southeast Asia are now actively weighing whether to suspend services entirely until the airspace situation is resolved. One Nordic carrier, speaking on background, confirmed it had already reduced flight frequencies on two Asian routes by 30 percent and said further capacity reductions were under review pending an assessment of second-quarter fuel costs.
Aviation economist Dr. Lars Holmqvist of the Copenhagen Institute for Transport Policy said the episode exposed a structural vulnerability in global air-route architecture that the industry had long understood in theory but never been forced to confront at this scale. “The global aviation network is remarkably efficient under stable geopolitical conditions, but it has extremely limited redundancy when a major transit corridor disappears overnight,” he said in a telephone interview. “The closure of Russian airspace after 2022 added costs and inconvenience, but Iranian airspace is geometrically far more central to the Europe-Asia corridor. The detour distances are longer, and the operational complexity is greater.” Holmqvist estimated that a four-month closure running through late July would add between 8 billion and 11 billion euros in cumulative fuel and operating costs across the European carrier sector.
European Union transport officials said they were monitoring developments closely and had opened preliminary consultations with affected member states about potential relief measures, including temporary jet fuel tax suspensions and state-backed short-term liquidity facilities for smaller carriers at risk of financial stress. No concrete measures had been formally announced as of Tuesday. Meanwhile, Gulf-based carriers operating out of Dubai, Doha, and Abu Dhabi — which retain access to alternative southern routing and hold bilateral agreements providing additional flexibility — were reported to be in exploratory talks with several European airlines about expanded code-share arrangements that could allow their aircraft to carry connecting European passengers on the most severely affected long-haul segments.
Consumer advocates urged travelers booked on European departures to Asia this summer to check directly with their airlines for updated schedules and to review their booking terms carefully, as several carriers have introduced temporary fare adjustment clauses that permit surcharge additions without triggering standard consumer protection refund rights. Industry analysts said the overarching situation remained highly fluid and could stabilise rapidly if a ceasefire or humanitarian airspace agreement were brokered, but noted that diplomatic efforts had made no publicly visible progress as of press time.