X pledges quicker action on hate and terror content in the UK

LONDON — Social media platform X committed Thursday to removing hate speech and terrorist incitement content within four hours of a valid report in the United Kingdom, a significant acceleration from its previous 48-hour target and one that comes amid mounting pressure from British regulators threatening substantial financial penalties under the country’s online safety legislation.

The pledge was contained in a 22-page compliance document submitted to Ofcom, the UK’s communications regulator, and represents the most concrete set of content moderation commitments X has made in the British market since the platform changed ownership three years ago. Ofcom had set a May 15 deadline for all major platforms to submit updated safety codes under the Online Safety Act, which took full legal effect in March.

Under the act, platforms that fail to meet their stated commitments can face fines of up to ten percent of global annual revenue. For X, which does not publicly disclose revenue figures, industry analysts estimate annual global turnover at between $2.8 billion and $3.4 billion, meaning potential penalties could reach several hundred million dollars. The company has previously described British regulation as among the most onerous it faces in any jurisdiction.

X’s head of global government affairs, Marcus Threlfall, said in a statement that the platform had invested significantly in automated detection tools since the previous review cycle and now removed 91 percent of flagged content before it was reported by users. He did not provide an independent audit to support that figure. The company said it had also added 340 content review staff globally since January, with approximately 60 assigned to queues covering British-language content.

Ofcom’s chief executive, Dame Carolyn Vickers, acknowledged the submission but said the regulator would take some months to assess whether X’s proposed measures were technically and operationally realistic. She told a briefing in central London that a commitment on paper and a demonstrated track record in practice are different things, and that the regulator would be conducting its own operational audits before reaching any assessment of compliance.

The announcement arrived against a charged political backdrop. Last summer, a series of riots in several English cities, partly organized through posts on social media platforms, prompted the government to demand faster takedowns and led to the prosecution of dozens of individuals for online incitement. An independent review published in February found that harmful content related to the unrest remained accessible on multiple platforms for an average of 31 hours before removal — well beyond most platforms’ stated response targets.

Digital rights advocates offered a cautious welcome to the new pledge while raising concerns about due process. Nneka Osei-Mensah, a policy director at the Open Internet Forum, a nonprofit advocacy group, warned that the pressure to hit four-hour targets would inevitably produce a wave of erroneous takedowns that silence legitimate speech. She urged Ofcom to mandate a transparent appeals process alongside any speed requirements.

Other major platforms also submitted compliance documents ahead of Thursday’s deadline. Video streaming services and short-form video platforms broadly committed to response windows of between six and twelve hours for the most severe categories of content. Messaging applications sought carve-outs for end-to-end encrypted communications, a position Ofcom said it was still evaluating against the act’s provisions.

X’s submission also included a section on its approach to political advertising, committing to a searchable public archive of all paid political content targeted at British users. That provision addressed a separate Ofcom inquiry opened last autumn after journalists found that politically themed advertisements had been served to users without adequate disclosure labeling.

Industry observers noted that Thursday’s filings marked an unusual degree of regulatory engagement from a platform that had previously boycotted several Ofcom hearings. Whether the posture reflected a genuine strategic shift or a tactical response to the threat of fines remained an open question that only enforcement action would ultimately answer.

The compliance filings submitted Thursday will now enter a review process that Ofcom estimates will take between four and six months, after which the regulator intends to publish a public assessment of each platform’s proposed safety measures. Platforms deemed non-compliant at that stage will be issued formal enforcement notices, which can trigger fines if ignored. The timeline means that practical accountability for the commitments made Thursday may not arrive until well into 2027 — a delay that critics of the legislation said undermined the urgency that parliament had intended to convey when passing the Online Safety Act.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top